Jaguar (ジャガー Jagā) is the mysterious man who always pops up on the scene in the Space Channel 5 series. Declaring himself as “the voice of Truth”, he is usually seen with a Space Pirate or two to back him up in public.
Jaguar is a handsome reporter for the Space Pirate Broadcasting Station. He’s a great advocator of Truth and commands the broadcasting ship, the Rogueship-A-Go-Go.
He favors the scent of gasoline, and his relationship status is unknown. He’s most likely single though.
He saved Ulala’s life when she was younger when she was the sole survivor of spaceship accident.
There isn’t much known about Jaguar aside from hints and clues one can gather about his mysterious past.
This man was once a reporter for Space Channel 5, and notably saved a young girl’s life back around in 10 years before the Morolian invasion. However, after sensing something was amiss about CEO Chief Blank, he resigned and left the station and became a Space Pirate, calling himself “the voice of Truth”.
A charismatic man, Jaguar holds Truth to be one of the most important concepts to life. He was wary of Channel 5 when Mr. Blank was in charge, but has lightened up since then.
Striving for the Truth does get him into trouble sometimes, as seen in Part 2 when he disappears for a good chunk of the game, during which the Rhythm Rogues cause trouble. He seems to have feelings for Ulala as it is unknown to herself despite being far behind of her age.
Space Channel 5Edit
First appearing on the Luxury Spacecraft G in Report 2 with the crew of the Rogueship-A-Go-Go, Jaguar
comes off as a snubby man towards Ulala and Channel 5 in general. In fact, whenever he teases Ulala he says “Channel 5” instead of her name. He is beaten the Channel 5 reporter and leaves the area of the spacecraft just as Morolina shows up.
In “Report 3: Catch the Scoop!”, Jaguar hinders Ulala from going any further towards the Morolians’ secret base. When the Space Pirates fail to stop her, he follows after Ulala, delving deep into the modified asteroid that serves as the base. He helps Ulala beat Morolian Monroe, an alien she couldn’t possibly beat herself, by shooting at the dual aliens directly while she takes care of the screens that appear. Ulala shoots out the television that was controlling the Morolians in the boss room, and the base begins to fall apart. As she flees and saves as many Morolians as possible, Jaguar comes over the comlink for Channel 5 and tells them that he’s found out that the brainwashing signal is coming from the same frequency as Channel 5’s.
Report 4 sees Jaguar, Ulala, and Pudding marching into Space Channel 5’s HQ, confronting CEO Chief Blank, or at least try to until he teleports away. Jaguar and the girls proceed to head through the station, rescuing Space Michael along the way, until they reach the top where Chief Blank reveals his true personality. Blank cares not for Truth, comparing it to a disease.
Ulala defeats Chief Blank’s “ulimate reporter” Evila, a tweaked security bot, with Jaguar and Pudding at her side. Both join Ulala in coming to Fuse’s rescue when Giant Evila grabs the Astrobeat. The huge robot swings a limb at Pudding then Jaguar, leaving Ulala alone. It's not long before Ulala, too, is knocked her platform in front of Giant Evila. Jaguar has his Space Pirates start up a rhythm in acapella to help Ulala get her groove back. While they do that, he floats off of his broadcasting ship and grabs Ulala. He tells her, "You've done well, Ulala. You'll be safe now." and returns her to her platform, ready to defeat Giant Evila. Once the monstosity of a mecha is beaten, Blank TV appears, a screen with the image of Blank on it, and the CEO announces his motive for brainwashing the masses: ratings.
Jaguar is standing on the Rogueship-A-Go-Go when the Blank Dimension is broken and the energy of the crowd charges up Channel 5's satellite as Fuse has directed.
"You're an enemy to truth, and all that is good."
With that final statement, he, Ulala, and the girl's entourage repeat Blank's commands of "Chu! Chu! Chu!" right back at him. The satellite fires a brilliant beam of blue at the station chief's screen and he is sent off into space. He marches alongside Ulala "to the end of the galaxy" with friends and former foes alike behind them.
Space Channel 5 Part 2Edit
Jaguar is seen in the opening cutscene, but disappears in a screen of static after hearing Purge say, “You saw it....”
Report 4: The End for Space Channel 5?!Edit
After Shadow’s defeat at Ulala’s dance skills, Jaguar groans as his form flickers for a moment. Before Ulala can get a good look at him, he teleports away.
Report 5: The Spies Get Revenge!Edit
Losing the Battle of the Bands was just enough for Shadow’s form to flicker again. Purge appears on the screens in the room and makes Jaguar scream in pain as the brainwashing signal takes over him again. Purge then ‘invites” Ulala to play a little game of ‘which one of them doesn’t belong?’. Ulala takes this opportunity to free “the man in search of truth” from Purge’s grip. No longer under the control of the young genius, Jaguar informs Ulala and her friends that Purge has built “a fearsome Ballistic Groove Gun” from all of the satellites that have been stolen. The Milky Way’s in danger and they need to hurry.
Report 6: Purge’s T.V. SpecialEdit
“Not gonna happen!”
The elevator Jaguar and the others are on opens up as “the first feature” on the Purge TV Show. He, Ulala, and the rest groove down the steps and across the walkway towards Purge. Just as they reach him, a transparent wall prevents him, Pine, Pudding, Hoorg, and Space Michael from helping Ulala dance against Purge.
During the second half of the report, Jaguar encourages Ulala to continue batting Purge the Great. Jaguar is off to Ulala’s right while dancing with her and after Dance Dimension X is broken, he tells Purge: “Strength without love won’t change anything!”
He helps ‘chu chu chu’ Purge into deep space, dancing to the end of the galaxy with the rest of the previously captive audience of the Purge TV Show.
Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash!Edit
Jaguar returns for the Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funkey News Flash! with his uniform getting a new design and with new allies for the Underground Space Pirates Broadcasting Channel to back him up in the form of three young women, Kell, Bello, and Soon-Soon.
Jaguar helps Ulala fight off the Morolians invasion caused by a new mysterious enemy named Glitter and teams up with the player controlling either or both Lou and Kee to rescue Ulala, 88MAN, Shinichiro Tachibana, Pudding and the Jaguars in order to defeat the Space organism. He also appears in dance trial mode challenging the players to burn off calories while they dance.
Jaguar is first seen during a cutscene before the first level, where he is worried about something involving all of the Groove Moxie across the Galaxy.
He later appears in a cutscene again, before the report 3, The Pirates Showdown, where he will ask if the Jaguars are ready to make their moves, who answer "Ready when you are!" to him.
Jaguar later finally appears during gameplay in report 4, The Final Report, where he assists the player (the twins) at defeating Glitter, thanks to his support, the player is able to rescue Ulala, Pudding, The Jaguars, 88MAN and Tachibana, Jaguar along with the rest of heroes together fight and defeat Glitter, then celebrate their victory by dancing.
Jaguar, according to the official website:
The leader of the Space Pirate Broadcasting Station. This legendary reporter is an infamous risk-taker who will stop at nothing to get to the truth—in fact, he was the first to pick up on the impending emergency this time around.
In the first Space Channel 5, he saved Ulala's life when she was a child but resigns from Channel 5 Headquarters afterwards before she got a chance to thank him. They encountered again this time in a dance battle and Jaguar is easily defeated by her then leaves telling Ulala that he will see her later. Later on, he tries to stop Ulala from going further into the Morolian Base, but follows her to help defeat Morolian Monroe. In the fight against Giant Evila, he helps Ulala back on her feet with the entourage to help defeat Chief Blank. In the second game, Ulala returns the favor rescuing him from Purge's control and informs her and the other about the Ballistic Groove Gun and they have to stop Purge before it's too late. Jaguar is also one of the few people to help support Ulala along with the others to defeat Purge the Great. In the character profile, he gives Ulala a crimson rose laced with his own passion as thanks for rescuing him. In third game, the player helps Jaguar rescue the others and with everyone's help they united their Groove Moxie to save Ulala in order to defeat Glitter.
Both Ulala and Jaguar care for each other since they saved each other's lives and wanting to find more about the truth in common that a Space Channel 5 see in strong speculation. Jaguar was the one who inspired Ulala to applied the job for Channel 5 after the accident. There are strong hints that he has strong feelings for Ulala.
He recruited the girls and they call themselves the Jaguars and he sees them more than just his comrades at arms, he sees them as his friends.
Not much interaction is shown between him and the Channel 42 reporter, but they work together to support Ulala to help save the galaxy.
- When firing his guns, you can see that the ray beam is a small orange "J".
- The same orange "J" can be seen in Space Channel 5 Part 2, when shooting the real Shadow with the Hey beam in the "Which one is the real one" part.
- His codename when he was working for Channel 5 was "Number 7".
- Jaguar's ship is called "Bad Turning" in the japanese version of the first game and “Rogueship-A-Go-Go” in the english one. In Space Channel 5 VR, it's called "Bad Turning" in both versions.
- According to the Gyun Gyun Guide Book, Jaguar was fired from Channel 5 after determining that the spaceship accident in the opening scene of Part 1 was the work of Blank. However, he resigned and left before Ulala got a chance to thank him, which she never got a chance to.
- Jaguar was the first character to speak in all of the main games.
- It also said that he was born somewhere in the spring presumed March or April, until 20 months later Ulala, making him the second oldest character right after Fuse in Space Channel 5 series. Pine and her sister Texas come close in third place making them 8 years younger than him since they were born on June 5, 2472 and is 13 years Ulala's senior when it comes to reporting and investigations. In some rumored theories, Jaguar's birthday could be hinted in March.
- According the Sugoku Sukoi Guide Book, it is said "Currently Missing", but it was revealed that Jaguar was kidnapped and turned into Shadow by Purge brainwashing him which confirms the reason why the Rhythm Rogues were attacking.
- Jaguar saved Ulala from the Spaceship Accident in 2489, confirming that working in Channel 5 Studios was his last one until he resigned at 25 years old, which was 10 years ago.
- He appeared in Project X Zone 2 in his Shadow form representing the rival unit even though in that game, he was somehow fighting off being brainwashed confirming he is the only character being a neutral character in the rival unit.
- Jaguar's, Pudding's and Ulala's japanese voice actors are the only voice actors to have never ever being replaced.
- Tom Clarke Hill, Jaguar's english voice actor (though only in Part 2) was the only english voice actor to return to Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash!
- It is revealed that he has a broadcasting show named after him called "Jaguar's Jaggin Jaguar Show".
- From being one of the two heroes who was kidnapped along with Space Michael in the second game by Purge, he is one of the three characters to not be kidnapped by Glitter, Lou and Kee are the other two.
- Jaguar along with Lou and Kee, are the first three characters to rescue Ulala, 88MAN, Tachibana and the Jaguars from Glitter and the second to rescue Pudding.
- Jaguar calls Ulala and her group "Channel 5" sometimes, but he calls Ulala by her name due to his feelings for the Channel 5 reporter since he cares about her. He also gave her a crimson rose as his way of saying thanks for saving him which is revealed in the second game.
- Jaguar has an unique "chu" animation in Space Channel 5 VR.
- He is also the first character to challenge the player in Trial Dance Mode.
- He and Shadow are the same person due to the same age and dance steps.
- "I found the last survivor from the spaceship accident. You'll be safe now."
- "Number 7 reporting from Point 2704"
- "It's Space Channel 5 again! Take this!"
- "If you wanna escape, it's now or never."
- "You dance well Ulala!"
- "My name is Jaguar, and I am The Voice of Truth"
- "What's This?"
- "Ulala...Thank You."
- "If we don't hurry, the whole milky way will be in danger!"
- "Strength without love won't change anything!"
Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! Edit
- "It's time to make our move, you girls ready?"
- "Think again!"
- "Don't you know? My name is Jaguar!"
- "No way! This is for Ulala!"
- ”Take it, Ulala! Go on!”
- " A universe without dancing? NOT on my watch!"