In the Virtual Reality game, Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! it's revealed that they are actually a set of Morolian robots as there are multiple Coco★Tapiocas in the game.
Space Channel 5 Edit
In the first game Coco★Tapioca appears as the first boss, Coco★Tapioca is a hypnotized robot invader that appears at the Launch Pad of Spaceport 9. It shows up at the end of “Ulala’s Swingin’ Report Show”, dropping down from a UFO.
The first battle segment is a dancing battle, where Ulala will need to copy it's dancing commands to beat it, when Coco★Tapioca says "chu" It'll create ring beams above its horns and sending them to Ulala, the rings will hover above her head until she successfully dances them away.
Just when it seems Coco★Tapioca’s down for the count, it gets back up and opens its mouth, in this segment, it'll let out a group of yellow dancing creatures called "Yellow Submoron" that will try to attack Ulala by shooting a yellow beam, but the later can stop them from doing it by copying Coco★Tapioca's dancing commands and shooting at them.
When the little robots are dispatched, Coco★Tapioca will starts freaking out and the final segment will begin, Coco★Tapioca will charge up a laser in her mouth and to prevent it from shooting, Ulala must copy it's commands to shoot at it's mouth, after that, the robot will be knocked down and freed from Blank's hypnotic control, ending the battle.
Ulala ends her show and marches away, the unhypnotized Coco★Tapioca getting up and hopping along behind the lines of people Ulala rescued.
“The first invading dancing robot, it appears at the Launch Pad in the First Report. The ring beam it creates from its horns, and the line-dancing robots it keeps inside its body, are something to be cautious of.” - In-game profile
Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! Edit
As stated above, in this game it's revealed that this robot is actually a set of robots and many of them appear through the game.
A Coco★Tapioca first appears as a boss in the first report, Morolians Strike Back!, three yellow Morolians will appear in front of it and the player will need to copy the Morolians moves to knock Coco★Tapioca down, in this game, they have new attacks, one where they shoot a green energy beam and other where they attack with their arms, after knocking the Coco★Tapioca down, Glitter will coat many Coco★Tapiocas with X space cells off screen, turning them into Other★Tapiocas, three Other Tapiocas will appear in the next report, A Chorus in White, as bosses, to defeat them, the player will need to once again copy the Morolians move to avoid their attacks and counter, later, two Coco★Tapiocas can be seen in the fourth report, The Final Report celebrating Glitter's defeat.
Coco★Tapioca, according to the official website:
A dancing robot created by the Morolians. Behold its ginormous "purplink" (purple-pink) body! Watch for the ring beam it shoots from its horns! Tremble at the signature Coco★Tapioca Dynamite Punch it unleashes with its terribly beefy arms!
Other Appearances EditIn Space Channel 5 Part 2, Morolian Eight and Hoorg have a spaceship which is modeled after Coco★Tapioca called Tapi-maru, the spaceship can be seen during report 3 being piloted by Morolian Eight and in report 5, being piloted by Hoorg at the report's intro.
A Coco★Tapioca appeared as a boss in both Project X Zone and it's sequel, Project X Zone 2, a crossover tactical role-playing games between Sega, Bandai Namco and Capcom released for the Nintendo 3DS developed by Monolith Soft and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment, the game features many characters and series from all of three companies, including Ulala, Morolians (as enemies) and the Space Channel 5 series, in it's sequel, Shadow also appeared as a boss and playable Nintendo characters were added too, Coco★Tapioca's boss battle theme is also an unlockable music track in Sega Superstar Tennis for the Space Channel 5 Tennis court.
See Also Edit
- Other★Tapioca: a variation of the Coco★Tapioca that appears in Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash!
- The word "Tapioca" is the name of a brazilian dish where the main ingredient is manioc and the most popular filling is coconut, in brazilian portuguese, "Coco" means "coconut", hence the name.
- Coco★Tapioca's Japanese profile reveals that the official name of the line-dancing robots is "Yellow Submoron". The name is probably a reference to The Beatles' song, "Yellow Submarine".
- With Coco★Tapioca's making a cameo in Space Channel 5 Part 2 as Morolian Eight and Hoorg's spaceship, Coco★Tapioca becomes the only boss to appear in every game.
- Its battle theme is "Coco★Tapioka: The Huge Dancer".
- In Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! the three yellow Morolians assisting Coco★Tapioca are most likely a reference to the Yellow Submorons, the dancing creatures that assist it in the first game.
- Coco★Tapioca is the first and currently only boss to be fought in more than one Space Channel 5 game
- In Project X Zone 2, Coco★Tapioca has been brainwashed by the Rhythm Rouges, making it the only Morolian robot to ever work for them.