Character Info Edit
Very little about him is known, currently, 88MAN has been a background character in all of the games and never had any major importance to any of them, he is usually seen along with Shinichiro Tachibana and (in Part 2) Morolian Eight, who are also minor reporters in the series, 88MAN usually appears in races against Ulala and other reporters to get scoops before them, according to the Gyun Gyun Guide Book, 88MAN is only 2 years old.
His relationship with any of the characters is unknown, though he can be assumed to be one of Ulala's strongests competitions, as he is always racing against her to get scoops before her.
Space Channel 5Edit
88MAN first makes a small appearance during report 2, where he can be seen reporting before the Morolina battle.
Later in the third report, it's leaked that the Morolian base is hidden somewhere in the Asteroid Belt and 88MAN is one of the many reporters to race against Ulala to find the base and get the scoop first, during the level's first segment, Ulala must shoot at him to slow him down, he eventually loses the race to Ulala, Pudding and Jaguar.
In the fourth report, he can be seen among the crowd during the battle between Ulala and Blank TV, cheering for Ulala and helping the heroes get enough energy to defeat Blank once and for all, after that, he marchers to the end of the Galaxy along with the rest of the crowd.
“Channel 88 Robot Reporter
Favorite scent: Oil
Advanced Al and other special mechanisms are installed within him. Although he's a machine, he understands emotions.”
Space Channel Part 2Edit88MAN returns in the sequel, renamed as "Reporter: Mr. 88".
He is first seen in the pre-report cutscene for Report 2, trying to interview President Peace. Later at the beggining of the same report, he can be seen reportering with the Channel 88 cameraman most likely about Peace's kidnapping.
88MAN is seen again at the start of Report 3 racing against the others reporters trying to get at Point Double X wanting the scoop on the ransom for President Peace and the hostages the Rhythm Rogues captured, but due to the Space Police orders he retreats.
He later appears again at the Report 6, dancing along Ulala and many others during the final dance-off against Purge, after defeating Purge, he marches along with the rest of the crowd to the end of the Galaxy.
Mr. 88 also appears in the Ulala dance mode minigame, though only if Ulala is wearing the Morolian outfit, starting at the 114 stage. There's also a Mr. 88 outfit, which is unlocked by clearing the extra mode of report 3.
"A miracle robot reporter who works for Channel 88. Comes complete with the latest AI technology, and is designed to handle any environment with his reinforced steel alloy body."
Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! Edit
Once again, 88MAN is a minor character in the Virtual Reality game, Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! he first makes a cameo during the third report, Space Pirates Showdown, where he is seen riding his vehicle along with Pudding and Shinichiro Tachibana, he looks and waves at the player then flies away with the other two reporters and is later captured off screen by Glitter, in The Final Report, 88MAN appears as a hostage of Glitter along with Ulala, The Jaguars (Kell, Bello and Soon-Soon), Pudding and Tachibana, he is saved by the Jaguar and the player then join forces with them to save Ulala and defeat Glitter, after the later being defeated, 88MAN and the rest of the heroes celebrate by dancing, later, the credit sequence will eventually cut to him who will be standing next to Tachibana waving to the player.
Despite being just a minor character once again, Kinda Funky News Flash! is the game where 88MAN stands out the most and has the most presence, same applies to Tachibana, both 88MAN and Tachibana are the only characters who were always minor to get a description in the official website, to get a new render, to be made of hostages along with the main heroes, to fight against Glitter along with the main heroes and to appear in the credits.
88MAN, according to the official website:
A robot reporter who works for Channel 88. He's equipped with the latest in advanced AI technology. However mechanical his body may be, he still (apparently) understands emotions. He pilots an odd little space ship that is outfitted with foot pedals.
- 88MAN has been named "88MAN" in the first game, then, renamed "Mr. 88" in the sequel only to be renamed "88MAN" again in Kinda Funky News Flash!
- In his Kinda Funky News Flash! in-game Profile, he is called "Mr. 88".
- In Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! 88MAN has a few lines which are reused sound files from the first game which were spoken by random hostages who were rescued by Ulala.
- When he appears in Space Pirates Showdown and waves to the player, he will say "Hey! Hey!", which is a reused sound file that was actually spoken by himself in the first game (specifically during the third report when Ulala attacks him).
- 88MAN, Pudding, Jaguar and Shinichiro Tachibana are the only character who have assisted Ulala fighting every final boss.
- It's unknown what is his, Tachibana and Morolian Eight's relationships with any of the main characters.
- He is one of the tallest characters in the game (not counting bosses).
- 88MAN has the biggest microphone out of all the reporters in the series.
- Much like Tachibana, he was never hypnotized nor saved by Ulala in the first two games.
- Curiously, in early footage of Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! from 2016, both 88MAN and Shinichiro Tachibana can be seen at the Spaceport 9, being forced to dance by the Morolians, though that never happened in the final version of the game.